Sunday, May 2, 2010

Alerts can be Alarming



Ric Steinberger, CISSP

            Over two decades ago (think “Saturday Night Fever”), one of my responsibilities was to oversee the system management of a modest sized computer facility.   At that time, I was just learning how to take care of mini-computers and another class of computer, then known as a mini-supercomputer (now known as a boat anchor).  The main computer room was nothing fancy, but it did have a powerful air conditioner, lots of electricity, and multiple locking doors.   What it didn’t have was any sort of alerting system, so that if an unusual condition were detected (e.g., water on the floor, high temperature), someone could be summoned to investigate. 

            I started to attend San Francisco Bay area computer conferences and learned more about the importance of monitoring IT environments.  The project computer room not only housed the computers and some network switches; it also stored the backup tapes.

            I started to become concerned about what might happen should there occur a power outage, a leak in the roof, or some other environmental event that could damage the computers or peripherals.  We didn’t have the budget to procure a fancy alarm system that would have been able to communicate with the organization’s security force.  What I could afford was a small microprocessor-controlled standalone system that could measure temperature, humidity, water levels, and power outages.  When I saw a good price on such a system, I bought it and installed it.

            The system was primitive by today’s standards.   But I did program it to dial my office and home number should any thermal, moisture, or electrical thresholds be exceeded.  [No mobile phones for the common folk back then.] 

            Fast forward a few months to 2 AM, some weekday night: A power failure causes the air conditioner to fail and the computer room temperature exceeds its threshold.  My home phone rings and a pre-recorded message alerts me to the situation.  I immediately recognized the problem: It’s 2 AM, I’m home in bed, and the guards have had no training in how to enter this room and shut down the computers.  I did the only thing I could do (more or less): I went back to sleep.

            The next day, I found that the computers had thankfully shut themselves off, upon detecting a dangerously high temperature.  The power was restored and the air conditioning was turned back on.

            Lesson learned: Do not install and activate an alarm system unless staff are actually prepared to respond to alerts.  That’s as relevant today as it was back in the days of the Bee Gees.

Last Week’s Question
What was the original name of Norwich University? (Question provided by Matt Bambrick).

Answer: "The American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy."

Winner: Andrey N. Chernyaev

 

 

This week’s Question
What ship will you find at the Shelburne Museum?


Please send all answers to: jorlando@norwich.edu


Current competition standings:


Andrey N. Chernyaev:  4 wins
Matt Bambrick: 3 wins
Dianne Tarpy: 2 wins
Sam Moore
Autumn Crossett
Gil Varney, Jr.
Glen Calvo
Thomas Reardon
Sherryl Fraser
Srinivas Chandrasekar
Marc Ariano
Linda Rosa
Joanna D'Aquanni
Bill Lampe
Srinivas Bedre
Christian Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment